iPhone Dev-Team Releases PwnageTool Jailbreak for iOS 4.0Posted by admin
The iPhone Dev-Team has released a version of PwnageTool which can jailbreak many devices with iOS 4.0.
Each supported device has few different scenarios that users need to consider when performing the upgrades, you need to check below and perform the upgrade in the particular way that matches your current device state.
NB: With PwnageTool 4.0 certain devices are not supported this is because they are not supported in iOS 4.0 or they are not supported by our software. We’re working on ways to get past these restrictions.
* iPhone 2G – not supported
* iPod Touch – not supported
* iPod Touch 3G – not supported
PwnageTool 4.0 only recognizes the official IPSWs that came out yesterday. If you had developer access to the “4.0 GM” IPSWs, do not try to use those.
Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
● If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
● If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
● If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
● If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
● If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
● As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
iPod touch 2G
● If you have an iPod touch 2G (non-MC model) that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
● As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on non-MC iPod Touch 2G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
Once jailbroken you can unlock your device using this UltraSn0w tutorial.
We will be posting updated tutorials very soon. Stay tuned!